Wednesday, September 1, 2010

What I Want to Analyze

For my first argumentative essay I am considering writing about an article in the textbook. As I was flipping through the readings, I came upon an article titled “The F Word” and it caught my eye. I briefly skimmed over the passage to get a glimpse of what it was talking about and I felt that the account held a very strong argument of exploration and some aspects that leaned toward informing an audience, as well. The overall account was about a young woman who was of Iranian ancestry and had a very non-American name that often made her a target for ridicule as a child and judgment as she grew older. The author explained how she was rejected job offers because employers could not read her Iranian name, much less pronounce it. In her account she learns that people in America, children anyways, tended to gravitate towards those with common names. She wrote of how she was often ignored because her school mates had trouble with her Iranian name and thus chose not to talk to her for fear of pronouncing it wrong, among other fears. She explores some truth of American culture and isn’t necessarily aiming to convince or persuade the audience, but to open eyes to her depth of exploration. As I continued to scan over the article, I read that the author eventually wrote her name as “Julie” on resumes and the job offers came pouring in. She informs readers of her journey in adding an American name and the interesting events that come from that decision. Overall, the account was very informative and had a lot of depth that allowed for the reader to discover truth from the author’s viewpoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment